Titans get first victory against Georgetown

No comments
PHOTO/Casey McDonald


Editor In Chief



The beginning of the season for the IU South Bend baseball team was a rough one, quickly going 0-6 against IU Kokomo and Taylor University. But for their third series of the season, they traveled to Georgetown, Kentucky, in hopes of getting their first victory.

A two day double header combined for a four game series on the road as the Titans took game four on Sunday for their first win.

Game one started as Paul Geha took the mound and it was a rough one, with neither team scoring until the fifth inning. Georgetown would score six runs in the bottom of the inning, five on Geha as Zane Gonzalez would come in for him and allow one more. At the bottom of the sixth, Brendon Wells would relieve him and allow three more runs. Pitching woes continued for the Titans as Blake Logsdon would relieve Wells halfway through the inning but would not stay long himself as he allowed four more runs. A long sixth inning came to a close after Max Walls came in and allowed the final two runs for the Tigers before ending the inning 15-0. The Titans escaped getting shut out with two outs in the top of the seventh, when Jordan Moore doubled to allow Tanner Wesp to score before the final out. Geha would take the loss for the Titans.

In game two, Collin Gordon would take the mound as he allowed the first Tiger run in the bottom of the inning. Two more would score in the bottom of the second to make it 3-0 Tigers. In the top of the fourth, the Titans would come within one after Wesp would score on a passed ball and Zack Lazenby would drive in another on an RBI double. Sam Libby would relieve Gordon in the bottom of the fifth and allow three more runs to score against the Titans. Brett Bashaw would come in in the bottom of the seventh and close out the game after another run, as Libby took the 7-2 loss.

Sunday was a new day for the Titans as Andy Ross took the mound in game three, but gave up a run in the bottom of the first. Ross held the Tigers scoreless over the next four innings before being relieved by Gonzalez. Jake Wilburn would be the first Titan to homer this season with a solo shot over the right field wall to tie the game. The Tigers would fight back and score another in the bottom of the sixth. But it was Tyler Reece who would single home Libby, who pinch ran for Wesp after reaching on an error, to tie the game at two. Gonzalez tried to keep the momentum, but allowed one run in the bottom of the ninth for the Tiger’s walk-off.

The Titans were confident though and used that momentum going into the final game. Reece, after using his utility player skills in game one, took the mound to start off game two. Moore and Wilburn started things off with RBI singles to drive runs to quickly put the Titans up by two in the top of the second. Reece continued to hold the Tigers, as Moore was walked in the fourth that ended in a run after a fielder’s choice on a hit by Austin Thomas. The Tigers would score in the bottom of the inning to make it 3-1, but a five-run inning in the sixth secured it for the Titans. Thomas, Nick Kellams and Lazenby all recorded RBI’s and Reece takes the win as the Titans went on to win their first game 8-2.

The record now stands at a rough 1-10 on the season, but the Titans travel down to Florida this weekend and over the spring break for a week filled of Florida baseball.

Leave a Reply